DMR - Anytone 878 Radios

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Hi, All -

A number of you have the Anytone 878s now. Besides the instructions for those of you so inclined some interesting info can be found here:

http://members.optuszoo.com.au/jason.reilly1/868mods.htm

Some recommendations based on my experience the the 868/878 as well as what I learned from the Internet:

(1) If you look at the back of your radio you'll notice the metal charging tabs are relatively exposed. You really don't want these to short out. You might want to invest in a radio pouch or holster (5.11 makes a nice one that fits the radio well  for around $15 when on sale https://www.511tactical.com/radio-pouch.html ) or, in a pinch a piece of blue painter's tape will work. Just take the tape off when you are ready to charge the radio, or else the process it will take a LONG time. Ask me how I know...:-)

(2) There have been reported problems with the 868 version of this radio being damaged when transmitting while in the charger or with the USB programming cable attached. This may hold true for the 878 - best to avoid pushing the PTT in these circumstances. Personally when I charge my radios I turn them off as recommended.

(3) For the best battery life suggest you review section 2 "Battery Information" in your operating manual. These radios don't seem to have very sophisticated Li-ion battery protection circuits. TL-DR fully charge/discharge a couple of time for best capacity; take the radio out of the charger when the light turns green; leave the radio off when charging.