Tuesday Night DMR

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Hi, All -

The following comments and opinions are mine only - I have not run them through Bob. He may have other thoughts.

I've heard through the grapevine that some folks are advertising our Tuesday night get-together on our RC-PRI talk group to other groups. IMHO a few things to keep in mind before we get too expansive too soon:

  • The Tuesday night "get together" is not officially a  "net". We are using PAPA facilities - just like with PARC, ACS/RACES etc. we need PAPA's permission to establish an official net. A small point, perhaps, given their enthusiastic support to date but as guests on their system we should respect their process.
  • Before we ask PAPA to establish a net we'll have to come up several dates/times that will work for us (and hopefully PAPA) and a draft net script. In addition, we'll have to train several net controls - these will be required to be dues-paying PAPA members. We are waiting for PAPA to release their new system control web page - once we get the go-ahead we'll start training the first group.
  • Currently Bob RGI is graciously hosting the Tuesday night get-together. Having seen number of folks that check into the popular Monday night DMR Roundtable on 3106 from all over the world I think we should respect Bob's time and not try not to wear him out before we have an official net time/date approved, a net script in place and additional net controls on line.
Personally I'd like to see the limited resources we currently have used to get our own team up to speed first. Thanks to Bob and the PAPA folks we have a number of new radios in team members' hands. As we are finding out, there is a learning curve that has to be climbed. Fire season is coming (if not already here).

The above being said (or written) I'm excited about the potential of DMR and am all for inviting people from far and wide to join us, but like getting ready for a party I suggest getting our house in order before inviting the guests. This shouldn't take long when all the pieces are in place.