Re: Looking for a Small SSD Drive

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Thanks Mike - lets hold off a bit and see what turns up.

Not a question of money as much as I hate seeing good stuff go to waste. I recently upgraded all my hard drives in my laptops (six) to SSDs, including replacing one of my smaller SSDs (120GB). Perfectly good Samsung drive with lots of life left in it - I just needed more capacity. It's found a new home in the Toughbook. I'm sure there are other small homeless drives floating around.

What you get for the money these days is amazing. I remember buying 200 MB HDDs for $800 a piece - and that was back when money was worth something.:-)

73,

Jer

On 7/21/2019 8:54 PM, Mike Corum wrote:
Sorry Jer. No SSD drives here.

A quick check on Amazon shows a few Kingston and others for around $20-$25. Count me in to donate one.

I can buy or you can and I’ll reimburse. Your call. Let me know.

Mike, KD6AEB
KD6AEB@...

On Jul 21, 2019, at 7:33 PM, Jer Kostro - Red Cross <jer.kostro.AK6QJ@...> wrote:

Hi, All -

Been working on the Comms Trailers ToughBook laptops. I put a surplus SSD drive into one of them - really improves performance and turns it into perfectly usable computer for programming radios and other limited uses.

If someone has a small (120GB) SSD drive they aren't using and are willing to donate it to the team I'll upgrade the other ToughBook. Larger ones are relatively cheap but IMHO overkill for a 2007 vintage computer. If I get more than one drive I'll see about the possibility of upgrading our netbooks or other computers.

You can bring it with you to the August 3rd team meeting or contact me direct and we'll figure out a way to get it to me.

Many thanks and 73,