Re: [SDGARES] Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) presentation

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

FYI from the ARES folks re: SDG&E.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [SDGARES] Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) presentation
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:00:49 -0700
From: Dennis Peck KA6DUH@... [SDGARES] <SDGARES@...>
To: SDGARES@...

All,
A few of my personal notes from what I learned at an SDG&E public presentation on this topic Spring 2018, these notes mostly came from the Q&A. The most relevant page in the power point Rob forwarded is page 8:

  • along with "back country", power shutoff can/will also affect the wildland urban interface (WUI), those areas that border "open space".  Deep urban dwellers not so much unless a major transmission line is shut down
  • "Patrolled"= inspected.   SDG&E has no other means to determine grid integrity than eye-balls, either in trucks or helicopters
  • a multi-day Santa Ana event (we know what those are like) will postpone the start of inspections until forecast wind conditions are below SDG&E's hazard thresholds
  • along with forecast wind gust thresholds, there are forecast sustained wind thresholds that will hold the start of inspections
  • a three-day Santa Ana event means grid sections that have been turned OFF, will likely not be re-energized until the end of day four at earliest depending on the availability of inspection resources
  • commercial and residential restoration is the lowest priority
  • how many $'s worth of frozen goods will thaw to an unsafe temperature after four days?
  • how many $'s worth of refrigerated goods will warm to an unsafe temperature after four days?
  • if your water source is an on-site well, do you have four days worth of pumped storage?
  • back country fire stations that depend on well water are equally affected. Separately, a Cleveland NF fire captain told me his stations are not equipped with gensets, nor are Cal Fire stations
  • ha! I have solar! Grid-connected solar will be automatically OFF during PSPS events for SDG&E worker safety
IMHO, Santa Ana event prep now includes genset and fuel for four days. ready. set. go.

Respectfully,
Dennis
KA6DUH

On 7/24/2019 1:55 PM, Rob Freeburn k6rjf.rob@... [SDGARES] wrote:

ARES Members,

Attached for your situational awareness is a Sempra presentation on
the Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) program.

As you know, when the power drops, we start to lose cell towers and
repeaters because back-up power supplies do not always work.

.. . . Rob
K6RJF

Posted by: Dennis Peck <ka6duh@...>
The SDGARES Reflector is Moderated.  Vulgarity, personal insults,
verbal  abuse, or any  violations of the  SDGARES  Code of Ethics
will not be tolerated.  Members posting such material are subject
to messages being deleted, and being banned from the group.

.