[SEC-ARES] Upcoming Red Cross Drill in November

Bruce

To Red Cross DST

It is hoped that San Diego and national DST members will be ready to pass written message traffic and forms, by November 14.

We need to get more Red Cross DST   stations on VARA-FM  on  P2P mode for message transfer.

We NEED to practice message and forms transmission using  Winlink VARA-FM  P2P mode.

I get the impression that the VARA-FM  P2P message capability is LOW priority with San Diego Red Cross -WHY?? 

I have experienced the speed, accuracy,  and efficiency of VARA-FM  P2P mode.  I am getting 28 Kbps, with the FT7900 and DRA50.

VARA-FM should be a high priority! This communications tool is NEEDED!

We now have the Palomar Mt 146.700 repeater to relay VARA-FM   P2P message traffic. We need to test this resource.  

To learn more: join:  VARA-MODEM@groups.io    The DRA50 modem is from "Masters Communications"

73 Bruce WA6DNT@...   WA6DNT@...   Cell 619-890-0789

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [SEC-ARES] Upcoming Red Cross Drill in November
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:43:52 +0000
Reply-To: SEC-ARES@groups.io
To: sec <sec@...>, 1 @ SEC-ARRL <SEC-ARES@groups.io>

Hello,

I want to get some word out on the upcoming Red Cross drill scheduled for November 14th.  This is a follow up from our drill in May and an attempt to apply the lessons learned there. More info will be coming soon and the hope is that you might use the fall SET to help generate messaging for this event.

Red Cross EmComm Fall Drill set for Nov 14, 2020

Red Cross is planning its Fall EmComm Drill for Nov 14th. 

Red Cross and ARES held our first nationwide radio drill May 30th and with over 1,000 amateurs from some forty states participating, it was considered a very-successful event.  Red Cross radio traffic and forms were passed all over the nation, including Hawaii and Alaska.  The Fall Drill will build upon this success and will incorporate lessons learned from the Spring Drill.

A few highlights:

Parts A and B will be merged into a single activity (KISS)

an IAP "cheat sheet" will be created in a simple to use checklist format

less emphasis on a "national" IAP and more emphasis on local-level planning

a Winlink Technical Support team has been created to provide training on a more widespread basis for all ops interested in participating in the Fall Drill, and a set of "standards of proficiency" has been developed.

The emphasis will be on passing Red Cross forms via Winlink using the built-in templates

A series of "all hands" planning calls will be held on Microsoft Teams starting in late September.  For more information please contact wayne.robertson@....

Thanks

Mike Walters, W8ZY

CT ARES SEC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.