Re: Great use case of AREDN supporting cloud based computing

Andre Hansen

The theoretical limit on an AREDN link is 144 Mbps based on the 802.11n RF encoding scheme.  The 400 Mbps they describe in the article refers to the user WIFI connection.

Note that the San Diego AREDN backbone network is in the process of being redesigned to be in compliance with recent FCC spectrum changes.  Also note that ownership of the backbone has been transferred to Keith, AI6BX, because I am no longer able to service these nodes.

Andre, K6AH

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 8:55 AM Nat 2733E N6BRV <njsarn9@...> wrote:

Mark, 

WOW 400Mbps bandwidth between nodes is very impressive.  10+Mb picture in 1.5 seconds (over the top) !!!

Self redirecting when a node is absent is a real functional advantage especially when there’s an RF hole or downed node. Will have to test this feature out when AREDN is installed on my vehicle (Solar + 800 Ah LFP battery).

Thanks much for the info.  

73' N6BRV Nat S.

From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io [mailto:main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO)
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 7:28 AM
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io
Subject: [ARC2-SDICC] Great use case of AREDN supporting cloud based computing

It is my understanding that the American Red Cross relies entirely upon their computing systems, all of which are cloud based. Therefore, I will focus my attention upon solutions that meet that basic operating need of every part of this organization.  

I am a ham radio operator, but I also have 40 years of computing experience. I recognize that no form of radio communications can support the data needs of the organization. AREDN CAN fill the gaps of necessary data links when they are down.  We only need to put effort into figuring out how. 

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/publicsector/amateur-radio-meets-edge-computing-keep-disaster-response-teams-connected/?fbclid=IwAR2rnqiuG4vKnKjIpgnwB8bAfVUHjvCAtebLt8Uf83Y0jyMVAKyH32Nz3d4

—-mark

Join main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.