Re: Thank You for Participating at the SoCal Exercise

Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) <mark@...>

Thanks for chiming in Bob.  Your reply is 100% valid.  Just want you to know that.

With regard to this event, we had no idea what to prepare for - what scenarios specifically.  What were we simulating?  The personnel, equipment and responses will be different for each one.  I can't just load up the car with everything I own.  So I need to know what to plan for.  And it's not like I didn't ask - I asked around. I got my hand slapped for asking too.  But I persisted and I got nothing.  I even went to Monica Ruzich for answers - nothing - just show up she said.

What if the Internet goes down?  What if the power is out?  What if all cell phone networks are jammed with traffic or down?

If we're going to go with the assumption of leadership - which is that we'll have backup cell phone service, satellite internet, etc. then there really is no need for ham radio operators.  And I fully understand that DST is not just ham radio.  What training have we done to implement a field-ready area to serve the needs of our local chapters?

None.

It's not like we didn't have time.  We had plenty of it.  We just failed to train.

I look forward to the day that somebody in the OC Chapter gets their act together and starts training the DST team to do what the American Red Cross needs of them.  Until then I really see no point in investing any more of my time into the American Red Cross.

---mark