Re: Thank You for Participating at the SoCal Exercise

Rosalinda

I remember a few years ago when we (ham radio's) participated in a RC shelter exercise and we set up a radio tower outside the shelter made out of PVC pipe and we had scenarios given to us on pieces of paper for ex: There is a baby that needs diapers, etc. We didn't rely on cell phones to communicate to HQ only the radios.  I was Shelter Manager on Sat. the 23rd at the Arias Church we didn't have clients we were told we had to bring our own laptops to register clients.  I would like to see Comms more involved also what if I had forgotten my laptop then what?
Rosalinda

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Apr 29, 2022 7:31 am
Subject: Re: [ARC2-SDICC] Thank You for Participating at the SoCal Exercise

I like you two would like to have had more injects related to loss of communications and relied on DST Comm’s to step in. At least to show what our capabilities are if the need arises. We did process and deliver 3 ICS-213’s during the drill.

Comm’s is just one GAP in DST and most likely will be the least used in most disasters in Southern California. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be prepared to step in when the need arises. We still should continue to train individually and as a group to keep our skills fresh.

Honestly, I would say 95% of all our responses will be to deploy, computers, networks, and internet connectivity. With the scenario of a wildfire all cell towers being down would be unlikely. Even in the major wildfires we had here in San Diego we never totally lost communications. We will have situations like the Southern fire that was out in the back country were communications were nonexistent and they relied on DST Comm’s.  We will always have the need to support Disaster Assessment teams that go into the back country to verify damage to homes. So as I said before we certainly need to be prepared to respond when the need arises.

Bob

From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO)
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2022 10:33 PM
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ARC2-SDICC] Thank You for Participating at the SoCal Exercise

I share your frustration, Bruce.  And that’s why I didn’t participate in Orange County. There was no plan and there has been absolutely nothing going on for the ham volunteer since I joined.  It’s a real shame because we have a lot of talented pepe ready to help but the current management hasn’t got a clue what to do with us. 

—mark, KM6ZPO 

Join main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.