Re: FW: several more hams needed for PCT50 on Saturday, May 14, 2022

Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) <mark@...>

Thank you for posting this Nat.  I reached out to the ham coordinator, Gary Holmes.  My wife and I committed to providing ham support at the Fred Canyon station for the afternoon shift.  This is a perfect exercise of using our ham skills in a less than ideal environment that requires us to program our radios to new frequencies and operate under the direction of race officials which would be very similar to responding to an American Red Cross activation.  Since ARC hasn't been doing any training or exercises for the ham operators, I believe this is a great opportunity for the hams to hone their skills and help where no other help is available.  Isn't that ultimately what we're here for?

Regarding the call for hams in support of the Sound the Alarm event, I can tell you from personal experience of doing it before that ham operators were not essential to the event.  Yes, we used the radios for hourly check ins and for calling for shuttles, but the same thing could have been done with the business band radios.  I actually felt like it was a bait and switch.  I was asked to provide ham support but in reality, I was was going door to door in downtown Long Beach (not a great area, by the way) pitching the smoke alarms and installing them in homes. I would never do it again.

---mark, KM6ZPO