Upcoming Event: Red Cross Communications Team Weekly Net - Tue, 07/16/2019 8:00pm-8:30pm #cal-reminder

main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io Calendar <main@...>

When: Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 8:00pm to 8:30pm, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:RACES/ACS Repeater; 147.195 MHz, "+" offset, PL 114.8

North Check-Ins - yyyyy
South Check-Ins - zzzzz

My bad - long week last week.

Giving xxxxx, YYYYY, zzzzz the night off, to be replaced by AE6O, KG6RGI, and KJ6HOV respectively.

Back to the usual cast of characters next week.

On 7/15/2019 8:00 PM, main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io Calendar wrote:

When: Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 8:00pm to 8:30pm, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:RACES/ACS Repeater; 147.195 MHz, "+" offset, PL 114.8

North Check-Ins - yyyyy
South Check-Ins - zzzzz

Martin Offenhauer

HI,

Please give me an email check in tonight.

Also last night on the PAPA DMR Roundtable, I asked a question about 878 roaming.  My question was about what the radio shows on the screen when you are roaming and how to know what repeater you have connected with.

I drove to San Bernadino (only 106F!) last week and tried the roaming feature on the way up and back. I used the PAPA All zone that is set up in the RC codeplug.  I enabled the auto roaming and repeater search.  I noticed that while I was able to connect to various PAPA repeaters up and down 15, the display on the radio does not change and show what repeater you are going thru.  If you are not on a static talkgroup you may not know that you are connected to a new repeater, since for example you have to key up TAC 310.  Also, a given repeater may not have the talkgroup you are using supported.

So most of the responses were that while the "repeater out of range" and "roaming"  the original repeater and talkgroup were displayed and you really didn't know what repeater you had "roamed" to.

Another comment was made by a repeater owner that with all these 878s out there, the possibility of overwhelming repeaters could be a problem as they ping during roaming. He suggested that operators should know the policy of the repeaters they want to use while roaming (although he didn't say how).  It does seem possible that there could be a lot of traffic from radios operating in roaming mode

Martin Offenhauer
Disaster Communications Operator
N6QIR
619 675 2844
N6QIRSD@...

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM Jer Kostro - Red Cross <jer.kostro.AK6QJ@...> wrote:

My bad - long week last week.

Giving xxxxx, YYYYY, zzzzz the night off, to be replaced by AE6O, KG6RGI, and KJ6HOV respectively.

Back to the usual cast of characters next week.

On 7/15/2019 8:00 PM, main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io Calendar wrote:

When: Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 8:00pm to 8:30pm, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:RACES/ACS Repeater; 147.195 MHz, "+" offset, PL 114.8

North Check-Ins - yyyyy
South Check-Ins - zzzzz

Greg Hidley

Great information Martin! Thanks for sharing.

There is another variable that could have affected your experience while on the road. If you were using an AT 878 and if you had the newest Red Cross codeplug loaded, the following might apply ...

The newest Red Cross codeplug had some recently updated PAPA frequencies. But, while these frequencies were corrected in the respective channel entries, they were not corrected in the 878's "Roaming Channel" list. Thus, if roaming were enabled on your 878, a few of the repeaters it searched for to roam among from the "Roaming Channel" list had the wrong frequencies. My review showed that incorrect (old) frequencies remained for the OAT, PAL and SUN repeaters.

greg, kj6hov

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 8:48 AM Martin Offenhauer <n6qirsd@...> wrote:
[...]

APRS might become an issue in the future, too.

RE: repeater system policies. You might want to google the system (or the geographic area you're interested in plus the search term "DMR repeater" if you don't know the system's name) to see if they have a web site. So far in my experience few systems have detailed policies, but some do (especially in the northwest.). I believe you'll see more policies address roaming in the future.

IMHO roaming may be a good idea on the open highway between cities, but I'll use it with caution here is Socal. Too many repeaters on high spots - I can at times hit four or five from my QTH - I can see where roaming can get problematic.

73,

Jer

On 7/16/2019 8:48 AM, Martin Offenhauer wrote:
[...]

I agree about only using roaming when out on the road. There is no reason to use it when you are in range of your usual repeater. For me that is usually Miquel.   You would still need to know the repeaters along your route and have them programmed in your roaming zone. I will check up on the roaming list in my codeplug and make sure it matches the new PAPA listings.

I will be going to VT later this year and am researching the DMR repeaters in the areas I will be traveling - there aren't very many ! Perhaps some of the websites will have information on how they view roaming.

Thanks,