Topics

Anytone D578's

Greg Hidley

Thanks for all that good advice Bill!

It helps me and others a lot.  From what I have gathered so far, there is only one 578 hardware device ... and combination of firmware and factory programming decides whether it is part 90 or not (and whether or not the third 220 band is accessible or not). Right you are, unless you, or the dealer you use, have access to that factory programming, you better order the correct version up front so it is preprogrammed correctly in advance. They also warn, if you upload a 878 CP into the 578 before doing anything else, you may lose the 220 capability (and require re-programming from the factory software)  ... you have to first download the factory settings from the 578 into its CPS software, and then edit or import into that as appropriate, your 878 settings  ... then upload.

I am considering this transceiver as a home base station, so I do not care about bluetooth or GPS. I also do not care too much about 220 as I have a Jetstream 220 mobile that puts out a lot more power than the 10W that the 578 would on 220. I'll use my 878 as needed in the field (add it to my go kit so I have DMR in the field). If the 578 were going in my vehicle, then of course, I would want the 220 for sure. My vehicles are all areadly ham radio equipped with mobiles.

I have an unused signalink (and KPC3+) that I can use with a few different VHF/UHF mobiles that I already have to achieve winlink or fldigi using 2M/440. And I have ia suit-case go kit with a TM-D710 and other do-dads to cover potential field VHF/UHF data needs.

greg

Now I need to figure out the best noise antenna setup at my QTH for an ANC-4 ... maybe using some existing tower antenna or adding some new dipole somewhere ... the little shorty (indoor) wire that came with it is doing only a minimal job.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 6:25 PM William Calderwood via groups.io <billk1ct=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Greg -

  Beware there are several versions of the 578.  One version is triband with 2, 1.25 and .75 meters.  Another version only has 2 and .75 meters, but its part 90 certified (which you might be required to use if you support government/NGO outside the ham bands).  There are also variations of the above with and without bluetooth and with and without GPS.  So my advice is to determine what you want and be sure what you are buying meets those requirements.  HRO has them as does a number of web merchants (like Bridgecom)

  Beware that if you want to interface fldigi/winlink express/packet to the 578 the way I've seen on the web is to conduct surgery to the microphone.  It winds up being kinda neat but its more complicated than just buying a signalink interface cable from Tigertronics and plugging it into the back of the radio.

  Despite my desire to get a good base DMR radio to increase power and convenience over the 868/878 the above issues have compelled me to hold off for a bit to be sure I get what I['m looking for.

     73, Bill K1CT

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 08:22:29 AM PDT, Bob Birch <rrbirch@...> wrote:

Greg,

Give me a call to discuss the 578.