From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jer Kostro - Red Cross
Sent: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 4:53 PM
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io
Subject: [ARC2-SDICC] Papa Website

Hi, All -

A few comments about the Papa Website -

- This is a new website for the PAPA System. There will be teething pains. One of the challenges is locking down the site so that bad actors can't hijack it. Not unusual for a new website design to require password changes, especially if the old site was less than secure. FWIW IMHO the Internet is no longer the Wild West - it's beginning to have a more "Escape from New York" vibe to it. Organization wishing to protect their digital assets act accordingly. As a result there may be some additional restrictions on the content.

- The PAPA System is very supportive of the Red Cross - the fact that they allow several Red Cross members access to their "control room"
underscores this. Red Cross volunteers who are not members of the PAPA System have access to their repeaters. A number of Red Cross volunteers including Bob and myself are members - we will ensure Red Cross volunteers will have access to the latest repeater information. BTW consider joining PAPA if you can swing it. Great coverage throughout Southern California - the group is very active in maintaining/expanding the system - the care and feeding of mountaintop repeaters is not cheap so I'm sure the PAPA folks would appreciate your support.

- Which brings me to PLs. Most of the PLs where changed in calendar year 2020. The latest code plug (05/12/2021) reflects all applicable changes to date. IMHO#2 I don't believe we'll see additional UHF PL changes unless a new interference issue raises its ugly head. This is one of the downsides of the large number of repeaters we have in Southern California.

If there are changes we will either issue a new code plug and/or send out an email addressing the situation.

- Bob is the Chapter representative to the PAPA System. He has a close working relationship with Cecil. Don't hesitate to address your concerns to him. He will look into it or detail someone else (probably me) to bird dog it.

Nat 2733E N6BRV

Jer, thanks very much for the clarification on the current state of the PAPA system.
 To reaffirm, YES, please do bring any concerns you (we) have on the PAPA system to Bob.

As a side note, you may be already aware (or not) of my past involvement with the PAPA system 8+ years ago in depth before I joined ARCCT.  Performed several capacities as Web master (old php), weekly Email broadcasts to members, data management, headed Analog User's guide documentation, Elmer to new members, iCom PAPA code plug etc. for PAPA system (it was a handful and I had to scale way back). As such, I've continued to dedicate help to Cecil and the PAPA system teams whenever requested. PAPA system isn't perfect but it's trying hard to become better at serving us all.

Many thanks to Bob KG6RGI for building an excellent relationship between our ARC DST team, Cecil and the PAPA system so remakably well that we enjoy today.

73' Nat S N6BRV