Sat 10/2 Orange County City/County RACES and EmComm Auxiliary Communications Service Exercise Plan

I failed to mention that the 2M simplex frequency for the American Red Cross, Orange County, will be 144.330.  We have a 50 watt radio with an omni directional antenna on the roof of the 3 story building.  We cannot "point a beam" in any direction.  But you can.  Take note of the address of the chapter building: 600 Parkcenter Dr, Santa Ana, CA 92705.

We will have the roll call sheet we use on Monday nets available for reference and will check off any stations heard. We are not going to call only Orange County north/south stations.  We will begin calling stations at 9AM.  Other participating stations will be asked to relay call ins if net control cannot hear active stations.  If you are from outside the area, please wait until we have run through the entire Orange County list before attempting to call us.

Remember: this is a simplex drill and that the headquarters operates at a somewhat low elevation.  You are going to need a good location, antenna height and a decent amount of power to operate simplex.  A handy talkie with a rubber ducky probably won't work for this exercise, especially if you are more than 5 miles away from the chapter building.

Check out this map of spots throughout Orange County that offer excellent simplex coverage:

If you are operating from a vehicle, please don't do so while driving.  Please be in a safe, stopped location before transmitting.  Even a 4-story parking garage is better than flat land for simplex!

---mark

Mark Warrick
(949) 870-9493

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 7:51 AM Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) via groups.io <mark=warrick.net@groups.io> wrote:
This Saturday, RACES and EmComm Auxiliary orgs throughout Orange County will be participating in a county-wide drill organized by Orange County RACES.  The Orange County American Red Cross chapter will be participating via the 600 Parkcenter headquarters.  ARC DST members will (hopefully) also be participating in the field.  Field / battery operations are encouraged to simulate a real power / internet / cell service out event.

There are three parts to this exercise: simplex radio comms (2M 146.595 and 60M chan 4 - 5371.5 USB), Winlink and AREDN.

San Diego stations likely will not reach Orange County on 2M simplex but they can try 60m.  Everyone can do the Winlink exercise since telnet is allowed.  It is highly encouraged that you not use telnet if you can use a local gateway via RF.  Those who are currently setup for AREDN (even if it's a tunnel) should attempt those exercises.  It's better if you have a dedicated IP phone for AREDN for the phone portion of the exercise, but the free app Linphone will also work.  You can call my PBX at 10.95.79.35 and reach me at extension 5000 (8-5PM please) on that PBX if you want to practice before the event.   The IP phone in the radio room at Parkcenter ( http://ke6bxt-redcross-m2rdish.local.mesh:8080/cgi-bin/mesh ) is 10.64.66.251.  If you get a busy signal on event day, wait a few mins and try again.

This exercise represents a minimum level of competency in passing EMCOMM traffic using common standards.  If you are not set up to participate this time, you should consider learning all these technologies for the next exercise.   See the attached plan for more information.

---mark

Mark Warrick
(949) 870-9493