AREDN - there is hope

Nat 2733E N6BRV

All, Bruce,

    Here are some points and hope:

·         Keith AI6BX manages large AREDN network and will be changing out most AREDN in SD to 5GHz equipment. (Palomar & Otay)

·         Since AREDN is a LIY (Learn It Yourself organization), it is best to join AREDN (if you already have done so for free) à User account | Amateur Radio Emergency Data Network (arednmesh.org)  They have tons of information painstakingly well put together.

·         So, where to start? Go to the website and look under Docs > AREDN® Documentation — AREDN Documentation 3.21.4.0 documentation (arednmesh.readthedocs.io)  I have been warned by the AREDN gurus that no one is going to spoon feed me.  Read the documents then ask questions and answer will then be shared.

·         If someone were interested in securing AREDN compatible radios then MikroTik, Ubiquiti and some other brands with 5GHz radios would be the choice.  AREDN SW supports several broad band radios on the market.

·         Broad band Equipment can be found in many Network online stores: (Read AREDN documents then consult with AREDN gurus first before going shopping)

o   Here’s what I have and Amazon also sells them > MikroTik LHG 5GHz

o   Direct buy from MikroTik (costs less but shipping $$) à MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products

o   If you want to become a relay node, Sector Antenna isn’t cheap à MikroTik MIMO Sector Antenna

 With all that described, here’s the AREDN 5GHz tried and tested result:

ü  The node to node distance is ~ 10 miles in this test.

ü  The Equipment is Integrated Dual Polarization

ü  The AREDN MikroTik broad band equipment I have (see above) was RF Signal abused. Forced to punch through my double Glass window, partially blocked by my Stucco wall, go through trees, obscure by some roof tops.  It still works with 17 dB SNR with a drop of 28Mbps down to 19Mbps

ü  So the fear of having a few trees in the way isn’t applicable at 5GHz at least not a problem with the MikroTik

BTW, Had a head start, was Product management with a Broad Band company in my past existence before retiring.

73' N6BRV Nat S.