P2P Winlink Exercise Sat 9/11 (planning)

My friend Scott MacGillivray (KM6RTE) - (OCHEART) is planning a P2P exercise for Saturday 9/11 in Orange County. He will be setup in the Orange hills and I will be at Seaview park in South OC. We need a skilled operator to position themselves in North OC. We have a few sites in mind but are open to suggestions.

I am writing to see if our group is interested in participating.  P2P is the “when all else fails” method of transmitting Winlink messages and ICS forms.  It is a critical skill to understand and practice.  We all would be operating from separate locations throughout the area.  This would be a radio only exercise.

Who’s up to the challenge?

Side note: our neighbors SDG-ARES and LAX-ARES doe drills like this about once a quarter on a wide scale and more frequently within their geographic areas

—-mark
KM6ZPO

Behrends, Kent

I am not in North OC, but in Chino Hills – North _of_ OC 😊

I am willing to participate in the P2P using UHF or VHF.

I’ve had much better luck with Vara FM then Packet, but can support both.

Well we have relays across the region?

Is there a way to tell the path a message took?

i.e.: mail headers that show Station->Station->Station

Will there be a set of simplex frequencies pre-defined for P2P use?

Should be fun!

For all of your IT support needs, please submit a ticket online via The Exchange, initiate a chat session online or call the Service Desk at 1-888-778-7762

Kent Behrends

American Red Cross Volunteer #883263

Desert to the Sea Region, CA, US, Sol-3, Milky Way

DST, DAT (W200), IT-EUS

Volunteer Connection: kent@...

Red Cross: kent.behrends@...

Ham Call sign: N6ROQ

DMR ID: 3152949

From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) via groups.io <mark@...>
Date: Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 08:37
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io>
Subject: [ARC2-SDICC] P2P Winlink Exercise Sat 9/11 (planning)

[...]

Another option to add the this exercise might be Digipeater use:

Station1 -> Station2 as Digipeater -> Station3

Vera FM v4.01+ has this built-in.  Auto-relay using same frequency where station1 and station3 can not contact each other, but both can contact Station2. Using my station as a Digipeater, may bridge between OC and SB.

Setting Vera FM v4.01+ as a Digipeater: http://w4cae.com/vara-fm-v4-0-1-digipeater-function/

From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) via groups.io <mark@...>
Date: Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 08:37
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io>

[...]

Here is a nice Winlink P2P walkthrough from W4LX

https://fmarc.net/download/winlink-p2p/

---
Kent Behrends
BEHR Consulting International
Home: https://bci.com

Support: https://behrconsulting.zendesk.com

Secure email: Kent.Behrends@...

Secure messaging by https://signal.org

From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) via groups.io <mark@...>
Date: Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 08:37
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io>

[...]

Hi Kent,

I'll contact you directy via email.

---mark

Mark Warrick
(949) 870-9493

From: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Warrick (KM6ZPO) via groups.io <mark=warrick.net@groups.io>
Date: Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 08:37
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io <main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io>

[...]

Mack Garrett USMC GYSGT Ret.

Good morning Mark, this sounds like an exciting event however I will not be able to participate as I am out of town for the remainder of the week. Best of luck