Topics

PAPA Meeting - USNS Mercy Presentation

Steve

If you happened to miss the PAPA online meeting today (Bob!) the guest speakers were hams aboard the USNS Mercy, discussing their ham shack - K6MRC.  See photo below.
They have a lot of gear as you can see, but no DMR.  (The Comfort does not have a ham shack.)
On their humanitarian missions around the world sometimes ham radio is the best if not the only communication method.
Each PAPA meeting has 1 or more door prizes depending on how many tickets are sold.  One of today's prizes was an Anytone 878.  The winner donated it to the ship's crew.  The club is going to donate a 578 as well.
73 Steve

No photo description available.
No photo description available.

Bruce

Hi Steve
Sorry I missed the PAPA meeting. I would have joined if I had gotten a notice about it. I am a PAPA member but have heard nothing from the group since the Pandemic hit.The photos did not come thru. 73 Bruce WA6DNT

On 5/9/2020 10:07 PM, Steve wrote:
If you happened to miss the PAPA online meeting today (Bob!) the guest speakers were hams aboard the USNS Mercy, discussing their ham shack - K6MRC.  See photo below.
They have a lot of gear as you can see, but no DMR.  (The Comfort does not have a ham shack.)
On their humanitarian missions around the world sometimes ham radio is the best if not the only communication method.
Each PAPA meeting has 1 or more door prizes depending on how many tickets are sold.  One of today's prizes was an Anytone 878.  The winner donated it to the ship's crew.  The club is going to donate a 578 as well.
73 Steve

No photo description available.
No photo description available.

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Thanks for posting the pictures, Steve - hoping someone would do it.

IIRC equipment rack from top to bottom:

Windows 10 and Linux servers

Flex radio

Icom 7100 with what looks like a SCS modems

Icom 7200 x2; ditto SCS modems

Yaesu 8800 x3

D-Star transceiver (model?)

Scanner

Radio over IP equipment

?

Big old power supply at the bottom.

Appreciate and fills/corrections anyone might have. I going to have a station just like this someday - as soon as I can talk Pat into letting me paint the house white. Already have the Red Crosses.

Bottom picture was the results  of their ham radio team contacting all seven continents via WSPR over a 24 hour period.

BTW here is USNS Mercy leaving San Diego  in 2008. "Doghouse" that  was mentioned is probably the structure topside just aft of the middle of the ship (between the second and third cross), next to the radome that I suspect houses the satellite communications antennas. On the original picture from the Wikipedia article you can make out some of the antennas forward of the doghouse.

Neat presentation! 878 donation was a nice touch.

On 5/9/2020 10:07 PM, Steve wrote:
If you happened to miss the PAPA online meeting today (Bob!) the guest speakers were hams aboard the USNS Mercy, discussing their ham shack - K6MRC.  See photo below.
They have a lot of gear as you can see, but no DMR.  (The Comfort does not have a ham shack.)
On their humanitarian missions around the world sometimes ham radio is the best if not the only communication method.
Each PAPA meeting has 1 or more door prizes depending on how many tickets are sold.  One of today's prizes was an Anytone 878.  The winner donated it to the ship's crew.  The club is going to donate a 578 as well.
73 Steve

No photo description available.
No photo description available.

Steve

Bruce - the photos came through even on your forwarded message so there may be something amiss at your end.
I received multiple reminders from PAPA so you may want to check your email address on papasys.com and your spam folder.

Jer, thanks for the update.
The rack as I have it:

Server
Server
Flex Radio
Icom IC-7100 - SCS modem
Icom 7200 - SCS modem
Icom 7200 - SCS modem
Icom IC-880 - Icom IC-2300H
Icom IC-880 x 2
Unknown - Icom ID-1
Cisco 3845 router
PS
Talknet ? radios

Steve

On 5/10/2020 11:29 AM, Steve wrote:
Bruce - the photos came through even on your forwarded message so there may be something amiss at your end.
I received multiple reminders from PAPA so you may want to check your email address on papasys.com and your spam folder.

Jer, thanks for the update.
The rack as I have it:

Server
Server
Flex Radio
Icom IC-7100 - SCS modem
Icom 7200 - SCS modem
Icom 7200 - SCS modem
Icom IC-880 - Icom IC-2300H
Icom IC-880 x 2
Unknown - Icom ID-1
Cisco 3845 router
PS
Talknet ? radios

Steve

Hi Steve  I found the problem, my "Thunderbird E-mail" client, blocked the photo's. WOW what a cllection of commercial radio gear! I guess they have HF radio onboard as I saw some "Harris" HF radios on the bottom of the rack.  73 Bruce WA6DNT