Topics

Weekly Analog Net Roster - OpsCodes

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Hi, All -

You may have noticed on the Tuesday night net roster a column labeled "OpsCodes". This is a tool by which the Communications Duty Officer (CDO) or, if we have been activated, the event's Communications Unit Leader (Com-L) can get a quick idea of some of our team members basic capabilities in order to make initial assignments. We haven't updated this in awhile - in light of the ongoing possibility of  Public Safety Power Outages this seems be a good time to do so.

There are currently seven OpsCodes:

D => DMR. You have a DMR radio programmed with our two talk groups.

E => Emergency power. You can operate 'off the grid' for a period of time - you might be asked to estimate for how long if/when the CDO/Com-L contacts you . My personal criteria is to have enough alternative power (generation and storage) for a 8-12 hour daily shift for a minimum of three days, assuming one mobile radio operated at 10w with a duty cycle of 20% (20% talk/80% listen). YMMV - having access to a mobile radio in you car counts towards this.

A => External antenna. Having a gain antenna on your roof, tower, or temporary support will give you signal a better reach.

B => Beam antenna (ideally external). This gives your signal a better reach through directionality, especially in simplex mode. Examples include a VHF and UHF yagis or a dual band log periodic antenna (i.e. Elk). Team members with the appropriate equipment can operate VHF or UHF SSB mode, increasing effective signal strength hence range. Although I haven't played with the concept yet UHF DMR and a beam antenna looks promising for simplex operations.

H => HT only. More of a limitation than an asset. You can produce a signal, but it's limited by a small antenna and low power. This can be partially compensated for by using a external and/or beam antenna.

W => Winlink-capable. A team member who can send/receive VHF and/or HF Winlink messages.

M => Mobile. Ideally, a 50w single or dual band radio in you vehicle with a gain antenna mounted externally. This counts as being emergency powered.

We purposely tried to keep this simple (few people bother to fill out long forms). If you are a net participant please review your codes and update as necessary. Next week I'll  upload a "special edition" with the revisions.

73 and thanks for you consideration,

Jer aka AK6QJ

Fred Curtis, KI6GRO

Jer,

Put me down for D, E, W, M.  I have temporary external antennas for HF(Buddy Pole, Ham Sticks) as well as VHF UHF.  Not sure if that constitutes an "A" or not.

73 de KI6GRO

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Copy - will add yours to the list.

I have a BuddiPole and ham sticks, too, along with several wire antennas. Definitely an "A" - in some ways better because it allows you to work from a better location.

On 11/5/2019 9:05 PM, Fred Curtis, KI6GRO wrote:
Jer,

Put me down for D, E, W, M.  I have temporary external antennas for HF(Buddy Pole, Ham Sticks) as well as VHF UHF.  Not sure if that constitutes an "A" or not.

73 de KI6GRO

Bob Bernardi

Hi
I have my HT, emergency power, external diamond NR770HNMO Antenna.

Bob

On Nov 5, 2019, at 6:33 PM, Jer Kostro - Red Cross <jer.kostro.AK6QJ@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, sir. Your OpsCodes have been updated on the master.

On 11/7/2019 6:13 PM, Bob Bernardi via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Roger McCollough

Jer,

Two small corrections to our Ops codes:

    1. The last character of my listing is printed  upside down. The W should be an M (No WINLINK Yes very Mobile.)

    2. The last character of June's listing is printed  upside down. The W should be an M (No WINLINK Yes very Mobile.)

Please fix your type.  (What type are we?)

Roger / KF6HBU  & June / KG6JJM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 11/5/2019 6:32 PM, Jer Kostro - Red Cross wrote:
[...]

Я сам уверен в себе. Никогда не мог получить повышение до "А".

Oops - those pesky Russians - type fixed:

I'm B positive myself. Never could get promoted to "A".

Corrections noted and made. Thanks for the response.

On 11/7/2019 6:54 PM, Roger McCollough wrote:
[...]

Nat Suwarnasarn

Jerry, in Emergency we can share the B positive blood type.
 Missing San Diego.

73' Nat S N6BRV

From: Jer Kostro - Red Cross <jer.kostro.AK6QJ@...>
Date: 11/7/19 11:46 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ARC2-SDICC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ARC2-SDICC] Weekly Analog Net Roster - OpsCodes

[...]

Remember, Nat - in an emergency.

 No samples. :-)

From: Jer Kostro - Red Cross <jer.kostro.AK6QJ@...>
Date: 11/7/19 11:46 PM (GMT-06:00)

[...]

Joe Seraki. AI6ZE

Jer my Ops Codes are H, D, W, and A since I am on the 7th floor of my apt building.

Joe Serak . AI6ZE

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Thanks Joe. Will leave off the A as its amazing how being inside a structural steel frame can degrade your transmission. Updated in the master file.

On 11/10/2019 2:43 PM, Joseph Seraki wrote:
Jer my Ops Codes are H, D, W, and A since I am on the 7th floor of my apt building.

Joe Serak . AI6ZE

Mike Corum

Morning Jer

My Op's codes are;

A, B, D, E, M, W

Thanks -- Mike, KD6AEB

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 6:33 PM Jer Kostro - Red Cross <jer.kostro.AK6QJ@...> wrote:
[...]

KD6AEB.com

Jer Kostro - Red Cross

Thanks Mike - your entry has been updated.